Sr. Software Engineer (Platform)
if(we), formerly known as Tagged Inc., is a company building social products to enable meaningful connections between people. We’re a profitable startup growing our existing successful products, Tagged & hi5, and building new social products on mobile and other key platforms. We're constantly exploring new ideas and technologies to build the next massive social product and realize our mission of connecting people.
Created by the team that brought Tagged to the world in 2004, if(we) was founded in 2014. if(we) was launched to build off of Tagged’s earlier experiences and success, tap the market growth and create the next billion user social product.
About the Engineering Team
On the if(we) engineering team we’re working on cutting-edge platforms to power the latest generation of applications. We work in an agile/iterative development team using a diverse set of tools. What inspires us? Collaborative coding, code quality, unit testing and meaningful and active code review. Love documentation? So do we! Do you contribute to open source projects? We do, too!
About the Job
As a senior member of our Platform team, you will be at the heart of many of the most exciting and impactful projects at if(we). You will apply your deep experience with both web programming and scalable web services infrastructure to deliver high-quality software solutions that back both new features on our flagship Tagged product as well as new rapid-cycle innovation projects. You will also be responsible for tackling many of the hardest problems within our existing infrastructure, addressing weaknesses in our backend to make our site, which serves millions of users every day, more reliable, maintainable, and scalable.
- Design, plan, develop and maintain backend web applications, APIs and data processing services that support new and enhanced features on multiple mobile and desktop platforms.
- Leverage the latest technologies and best practices to continually improve the performance of our services, and help evangelize these innovations among the rest of the engineering organization.
- Participate in daily code deploys while working on individual or team projects.
- Take ideas and concepts from the business and turn them into tangible components of the site.
Our ideal candidate describes themselves as a Software Engineer and not a web developer. You are actively engaged in software development communities, Open Source projects or projects of your own; where coding in collaboration with other engineers is a necessity. You are steeped in both computer science fundamentals as well as experience developing and running software in the “real world”, and know how to balance the tensions these often opposing paradigms impose. The principles of Agile development, coding standards, unit testing, documentation and communication are second nature. You have deep knowledge of PHP and/or Java, and are comfortable quickly picking up new languages and technologies, such as Redis, Go, Python and Node.js. You find working on large codebases in a scalable, service-oriented architecture, and solving the problems inherent in such a setup, an exciting challenge ripe with opportunity.
- Experience developing and supporting highly reliable, scalable systems supporting millions of users
- Strong OO programming skills in a language such as PHP or Java
- Experience developing REST or SOAP APIs
- Experience integrating with third-party APIs, such as Facebook’s Graph API
- Knowledge of caching types (Memcache, APC, CDN)
- Experience writing SQL and working with both relational databases, such as Oracle or Postgres, as well as NoSQL datastores such as Redis and Memcache
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical collaborators and stakeholders
- Comfortable working in an agile/iterative development environment
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of professional software development experience