Summer 2017 Intern - Software Engineer
if(we), formally known as Tagged Inc., is a company building social products to enable meaningful connections between people. We’re a profitable startup growing our existing successful products, Tagged & hi5, and building new social products on mobile and other key platforms. We're constantly exploring new ideas and technologies to build the next massive social product and realize our mission of connecting people.
Created by the team that brought Tagged to the world in 2004, if(we) was founded in 2014. if(we) was launched to build off of Tagged’s earlier experiences and success, tap the market growth and create the next billion user social product.
Interns are hands-on at if(we), gaining real-world experience in a production environment. You are treated as equal owners on the team and you have the freedom and responsibility to contribute at the level of full-time employees.
- Ship code your first week!
- From design, to development, to release - you are involved in the entire process.
- Daily releases let you see your changes live.
- Be involved in the design and implementation decision-making.
About the Engineering Teams
Our Engineering teams make use of a wide variety of languages and technologies, including Java, Scala, Oracle, Hadoop, Spark, Angular.js, Node.js, Objective C and more. Our goal is to develop efficient, reusable, scalable, and performant web/mobile services and APIs that we can really be proud of. Interns may be assigned to work on one of our larger projects, or they may move between projects based on their skills and interests.
We are hiring interns for the following teams -
- Our mobile teams (Android & iOS) are shaping the future of mobile at if(we).
- Our Platform team is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining backend services that support our products.
- Our QA team ensures an excellent user experience which is also definable and highly visible. The team also provides tools and training to speed up and support the development process in order to deliver output that is "on quality."
About the Job
As a Software Engineering intern at if(we), you will build and maintain social networking features that are used by millions of people just days after you commit your code. Our development cycle is rapid, iterative, and driven by metrics and analytics. You’ll work as part of a cross-functional team that includes product, engineering, and QA, and you’ll work on the same type of projects as our full-time engineers.
- Very strong programming skills
- Enthusiasm for startup work
- Knowledge of SQL
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Working toward a BS or MS in Computer Science or Mathematics
Nice to have
- Knowledge of numerous programming languages
- Contributions to open source software projects
- Have built/host your own website
- Experience with multi-threaded and/or asynchronous programming
- Experience creating highly scalable solutions, including clustered and/or distributed applications